Technically, when compared to RDBMS, NoSQL databases are more scalable and provide superior performance, and their data model addresses several issues that the relational model is not designed to address:
- Large volumes of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data
- Object-oriented programming that is easy to use and flexible
- Efficient, scale-out architecture instead of expensive, monolithic architecture
So, it is our conclusion that SQL-based RDBMS is less suitable for the mobile QC application. MongoDB has been used by big customers like SAP, SourceForge, Disney, Forbes, Taobao. http://www.mongodb.com/who-uses-mongodb. Our MongoDB runs on 64-bit Windows Server with no limitation on data. Server CPU speed not limited but fast CPU speed and larger RAM size is helpful.
As our understanding and user experience, MongoDB is very robust especially to handle vast amount of data, such as text, images, video clips. It is very applicable to be used in App application for its stability in document synchronization between Tablet and Server. Our infrastructure is very direct but effective to let the QC data to be input and manipulate OFFLINE in Tablet, and sync to Server ONLINE at any time ONLY WHEN 3G/Wifi available. This mechanism is very straightforward and never failed as it is like a simply Word document to be transferred to Server like email attachment. The Server program in CloudQCApp will then auto-build index in DB like standard SQL database for further data mining.
- PO header file (Booked QC tasks in EXCEL format) can be synchronized to our QC Centre in any schedule (say hourly, daily, weekly).
- We can Import/Export Excel/Jason/XML/CVS output file in a standard data field format on schedule (real-time, hourly, daily, weekly)
- On the other hand, since Enterprise might need specific data fields or consolidated data fields in specific data format, sequence, value type, etc., we can also do fields customization on the data output to achieve enterprise’s own purpose.
- For a closer data integration, we can provide Web-based Restful APIs for enterprise to pull data directly from our QC Centre,
- We can also write Middle-ware Program to let our QC Centre push QC data directly to the Enterprise’s ERP main database/interface database on schedule (real-time, hourly, daily, weekly).